Wednesday 24 July 2013

Hair, Baking Soda And No-Poo

Hair, Baking Soda And No-Poo

There is a hair revolution of sorts that is taking over. An underground movement, conventionally known as the "no-poo" method...no no no I am not refering to bowel movements, ughhh, not at all.
I am referring to the NO shamPOO method.
I love experimentation, especially when it is natural, organic and promises great things for my hair or skin. I am pretty vain like that, I have drunk vinegar, swallowed some nasty things and applied some stinky stuff on my face and hair, much to the husbands disgust. But some sacrifices have to be made if you want a pretty and vain wife :)
So, a few women with lovely long locks talking about the No shamPOO method is all it took, for me to sprint and jump on to the  no-pooing bandwagon.
Here is what you do..you use baking soda in place of your shampoo and follow it up with an apple cider vinegar wash.
Why do this?
Well shampoo and all its chemicals strip the hair of its natural oils, this leads to the scalp producing more and then to counter that we shampoo more and then the scalp produces more...vicious cycle that leads to product build up and damaged hair...
baking soda shampoo
Image source HERE

The Method:
Baking Soda Shampoo
The Recipe
Mix 1 part baking soda with 3 to 4 parts warm water.
Let the mixture come back to room temperature.
Work the mixture in the scalp through to the ends of the hair.
Let it sit for a minute.
Rinse it through.

Apple Cider Vinegar Rinse
The Recipe
Mix 1 part ACV with 3 to 7 parts water.
After cleaning your hair with baking soda apply this mix to the hair.
Let it sit for a minute.
Rinse off.
My Experience
1.The first 2 times I did it, my hair felt great and I felt great having used something without so many chemicals in it.
2.I could go longer between washes, and the hair did not get so greasy and eeky.

After a couple of weeks of using the no-poo method, my hair started feeling brittle and a little dry.
Due to the dryness, I noticed a little breakage while combing my hair.
Warning bells started ringing...my hair is very precious to me..VERY PRECIOUS..

So I shampooed and conditioned my hair today after 3 weeks...yeah I know it sounds gross but it wasn't that bad.
And ahhhh does it feel good..my hair is soft and smooth...loving it.

What about my experiment you ask?
I think I will alternate between lots-of-poo and no-poo.
Will let you know how that goes :)
I do urge you to try it on your hair, if you need more details let me know :)

8 comments:

  1. sounds good but vinegar kinda stinks yeah.. i always keep away from diy coz my husband catches scents and wrinkles his nose all the time!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha..yeah mine does too..but he has learnt to deal with it :)

      Delete
  2. I was experimenting with using just aloe vera for two days. But then I had to get back to the softness that my hair loves from conditioner and shampoo, this is a great recipe. will try it some time :) btw I love the new look and feel to the blog :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks sweety, i know what you mean n I am glad ur enjoying the new look of the blog...I am loving it too ;)

      Delete
  3. Nice hairstyle.It sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ivy i know the hair is gorg...not mine though :)

      Delete
  4. First off the no-pop ups thing is working great! Second - the title of this post cracked me up completely. I like the idea of doing this once in a while in between washes to clean up the shampoo residue in the hair. One question though -how does it smell after? Does it have that sour vinegar scent?

    Zahra
    www.lovezahra.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no smell issues, maybe because I used a dilute version of the ACV wash. I used 1ACV to 3water.
      even if there is a little smell goes off in a few hours..
      Yup, I agree, I will totally be skipping my shampoo every once in a while :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
09 10